14540328703 60e60d2eeb k
Plymouth has been named as one of the top five safest cities in the UK.
Compare the Market 2018 survey

Whilst we cannot offer our own accommodation we work closely with providers within the city to make your transition to the student community in Plymouth as smooth as possible.

Most students in their first year choose to live in a Student Hall of Residence. All rooms in halls of residence offer ensuite bathrooms, and have bright and airy communal areas, with cooking, dining and social facilities.

  • Rooms are fully furnished
  • Share your flat with other Plymouth College of Art students
  • 24/7 concierge at selected properties
  • Stay for up to 51 weeks of the year
  • Within walking distance to the campus

There are various Student Letting agents in the city, many of whom have international liaisons who can offer guidance and support for students adjusting to their new surroundings. Visit our accommodation page to get started.


Our recommended accommodation provider Host, have several policies in place to support students, paying particular attention to the issues brought in response to the Covid-19 pandemic, including:

  • Semester Lets available
  • No Place, No Pay
  • Restricted Travel Promotion
  • Flexible Booking
  • No Visa, No Pay

To find out more about HOST's policies please click here.

After the initial excitement of arriving and starting your course in the UK, it's normal to sometimes feel a little homesick or even a bit lonely. This is true for British students too, so remember, if you do feel like this, you are not on your own.

Take a look at the UKCISA Guide to Culture Shock to find out more about adjusting to life in the UK.

If you need someone to talk to, try chatting to your Subject Leader about how you are feeling. You can also visit our Student Support Team on campus and talk to an advisor who will be happy to listen and offer support and suggestions. Book your free appointment at studentsupport@pca.ac.uk.

Our Students’ Union is also a great place to meet new people and get support. Drop in and chat to the team on campus, visit their website at www.plymouthartsu.com/ or email them at studentsunion@pca.ac.uk.

Since 6 April 2015, most Tier 4 applicants who are applying for more than six months leave will need to pay the 'immigration health surcharge' as part of their visa application. Paying this charge will mean that you are entitled to receive free health services from the National Health Services (NHS) while you are in the UK.

The UKCISA guide to health and healthcare explains how the National Health Service works in the UK and has further information on if and how much you will need to pay. It also has advice for EU/EEA /Swiss students and students on courses of less than 6 months on how to access health services.

In order to use the NHS, you will need to register with a GP (Doctors who work in the local community). To find your closest GP, visit here.

It's important that you speak to your bank in your home country before leaving to come to the UK. If they have a relationship with a UK bank that may help you to set up an account. It's also a good idea to ask them if you can use your cash card in cash machines in the UK to access money from your home country account.

It can take up to three weeks to open a UK bank account, so make sure you have access to money for this period. Some banks also require a local address to open the account, so depending on which bank you choose, you'll have to pay rent and a deposit to secure your accommodation first.

It can be useful to bring a bank statement, or a University letter addressed to your home country address, to help you open an account in the UK.

Take a look at the International Student Calculator for information on typical costs in the UK and advice on how to manage your money effectively.