Skip to main content

Considering a creative course starting in 2020 or 2021? Email to find out about studying with us. Register for one of our Online Open Days at



Plymouth College of Art is an international art college. We welcome students and staff from around the world and believe in the many creative benefits of studying and working globally.

We live by this ethos showcasing international creative artists in our exhibition space, The Gallery, hosting guest lecturers from overseas, curating, publishing and exhibiting abroad and arranging exchange programmes with our overseas programmes. We want students and staff from the EU and beyond to know everyone is extremely welcome at the college.

We appreciate that there is on-going uncertainty as a result of Brexit. We will endeavour to keep this information as up-to-date as possible. The information below is correct at the time of writing on the basis of current government policy, 3 February 2020.

What is Brexit?

Brexit refers to the act of the UK leaving the European Union (EU), which was decided in a public referendum on Thursday 23 June 2016. The UK left the EU at 11pm GMT on 31 January 2020, and is now in a transitionary period of withdrawal, currently in effect until December 2020.

What does Brexit mean for EU students in the UK now or considering studying with us?

The UK government has confirmed that EU students who begin their degrees in or before the academic year 2020/2021 will still be eligible for home student fees and financial support, and that this will remain the case throughout their full degree. This will be the case whether the UK leaves the EU with a deal or under a no deal scenario. There is no decision yet on the level of tuition fees or availability of any financial support for new students from the EU starting from 2021 onwards.

If you are studying at a UK university and your degree finishes before December 2020, you do not need to apply for settlement status to complete your degree. If your degree finishes after 2020, this will depend on the outcome of Brexit.

If there is a withdrawal agreement, you will not need a visa if you are arriving before 1 January 2021. However, you should apply for settled or pre-settled status if you would like to stay in the UK beyond 31 December 2020.

EU Settlement Scheme

The immigration status of all current EU, EEA and Swiss students, along with fee status and access to student loans, has not changed as a result of the UK’s decision to leave the EU. This will remain the case until the UK government decides otherwise.

If you’re an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, you and your family will be able to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021. Settled status gives you the right to live and work in the UK and gives you access to public services including medical care under the National Health Service (NHS).

The deadline to apply is 30 June 2021 if a withdrawal agreement is reached, or 31 December 2020 is the UK exits the EU without a deal. 

Find out more information about the EU Settlement Scheme

Will Brexit affect fees and funding for students from the UK and the EU?

Students with ‘home/EU’ fee status when enrolling at Plymouth College of Art this academic year (2019/2020) are expected to pay the same tuition fees and will not see any changes to loan eligibility because of Brexit.

Current university students from the EU and those who applied to courses starting in 2019/2020 will not see changes to their loan eligibility or fee status. Students applying to start courses in England and Scotland in 2020/2021 are also guaranteed the same fee status. This guarantee will apply for the full duration of the course, even if the course finishes after the UK has left the EU.

Find out more about funding and fees for EU students

What does Brexit mean for UK Plymouth College of Art students currently studying in the EU under an Erasmus+ placement, or considering going on an Erasmus+ placement next semester?

UK universities will be able to continue to take part in the Erasmus+ exchange programme until it ends. This should allow students to complete mobility periods and receive funding through the Erasmus+ programme until the end of the academic year 2020/2021. The UK government has committed to negotiating access to the Erasmus+ successor programme due to start in 2021.

Find out more about Erasmus+ and Brexit here

What does Brexit mean for Plymouth College of Art and other UK institutions collaborating with other higher education bodies across Europe?

Here at Plymouth College of Art, we work with partners across Europe, North America, India, China, Korea and beyond. Our cultural exchanges and international projects have a significant impact on our students, improving their employment prospects, bringing international practitioners and projects into the college, creating a rich and vibrant international culture and helping influence the way that we teach. 

Across the UK and Europe, Higher Education and research organisations have reaffirmed their commitment to working together and developing relationships following the departure of the UK from the EU. They have called on their respective national governments and the European Commission to act on their commitments and work swiftly to agree a basis for continued collaboration through Horizon Europe and Erasmus+ before the end of 2020, allowing the development of innovative and stronger collaborations for future generations to benefit from.


Find out more information about EU and UK higher education institutions working together


How might travel from the UK to Europe be affected after Brexit?

Travel to the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein will change from 1 January 2021. The government has recommended that people check before they travel, and we remind staff and students that you will need travel insurance if you travel abroad.


Things you may need to do before you go include:

  • Check requirements for visas (particularly under a no deal scenario, potentially either for entry to another country or to stay longer than 90 days)
  • Consider travel insurance that will cover your healthcare. If leaving the EU under a withdrawal agreement, European Health Insurance Cards (EHIC) will remain valid until at least 31 December 2020, but will not be valid if there is a no deal outcome.
  • Check your passport to ensure it will be valid (Typical requirements are for your passport to be less than 10 years old, and have more than six months to go before it expires)
  • Check you have the right driving documentation
  • Organise pet travel - you need to contact your vet at least four months before you go

For more information, visit the website


More information: