BA (Hons) Painting, Drawing & Printmaking — Overview
Our BA (Hons) Painting, Drawing & Printmaking programme is one of only a few programmes in the UK to offer specialist technical and critical study in painting, drawing and printmaking.
This dynamic programme is aimed at students who are excited by the prospect of a rigorous materials-based and process-driven education in art practice.
You’ll study materials and techniques, while also developing and contextualising your own professional practice within the arts.
Based in large open-plan studios with double height ceilings and north light windows, you will develop an ambitious working practice across all three disciplines.
Your progress throughout the three years is driven by a comprehensive series of technical workshops, underpinned by the teaching of drawing as a core component of your studio practice.
You’ll also gain a thorough critical understanding of the key theories in contemporary art as they relate to your emerging practice, and you can take part in live exhibitions and projects, preparing you for your professional career after graduation.
What will I achieve?
You will study painting, drawing and printmaking, whilst also learning about the professional strategies of the art world.
You will develop an ambitious working practice based on an investigation of the material and technical possibilities of your creative work, with drawing at the centre of all you do and make.
We will encourage you to think through making, with your own studio work providing you with a centre of enquiry and a point of departure through the deep learning of a core discipline.
As well as working on their technical painting skills, our students also get the chance to exhibit at and curate shows at Plymouth’s many professional galleries and art spaces.
BA (Hons) Painting, Drawing & Printmaking — Highlights:
- Benefit from the unique experience of working alongside professional artists in their own studios, take on a two-month residency in an artists’ community, work in a Spanish art school as part of the Erasmus programme, or find out about teaching drawing and painting in our own Creative School for 4-to-16-year-olds.
- Learn drawing in taught sessions on a weekly basis during your entire three-year degree.
- Develop essential techniques, taught by practising artists, in oil painting, water-based painting, drawing and fine print.
- Experience freedom to pursue your own creative voice and work in a group of like-minded students who all share your commitment to painting, drawing and printmaking. Work in your own creative space in our purpose-built studios, which are some of the most inspiring spaces to practise art in the UK.
- Gain a high-quality, critical and technical education in painting, drawing and printmaking.
- Exhibit and curate, with frequent shows throughout the programme and encouragement to develop your own gallery opportunities, as well as build connections with other professional galleries and art spaces.
- Leave with a deep understanding of your own art practice, its techniques and the theories behind it, along with an ability to collaborate across other creative disciplines. We’ll teach you to reflect critically on your own professional identity as an emerging artist, and equip you with the skills to step forward into your creative future.
Have a question for our team? Email: PDP@pca.ac.uk