BA (Hons) Painting, Drawing & Printmaking — Overview
By offering specialist technical and critical study in painting, drawing and printmaking at degree level, our BA (Hons) Painting, Drawing & Printmaking programme is exceptional in the UK.
This dynamic programme is aimed at students who are excited by the prospect of a rigorous materials-based and process-driven education in art practice.
You’ll study materials and techniques, while also developing and contextualising your own professional practice within the arts.
Based in large open-plan studios with double-height ceilings and north light windows, you will be encouraged to develop an ambitious working practice across all three disciplines.
In the 2017 NSS our BA (Hons) Painting, Drawing & Printmaking programme had a 90% overall student satisfaction rating, with 100% of students agreeing that “the library resources and services are good enough for my needs”, “feedback on my work has been timely” and “my communication skills have improved” as a result of the programme.
Your progress throughout the three years is driven by a comprehensive series of technical workshops, underpinned by the teaching of drawing as a core component of your studio practice.
You’ll also gain a thorough, critical understanding of the key theories in contemporary art as they relate to your emerging practice, and will have opportunities to take part in live exhibitions and projects, preparing you for your professional career after graduation.
What will I achieve?
You will study painting, drawing and printmaking, alongside taking part in a wide range of professional opportunities to explore the kind of artist that you want to become.
You will develop an ambitious working practice based on an investigation of the material and technical possibilities of your creative work, with drawing at the centre of all you do and make.
We will encourage you to think through making, with your own studio work providing you with a centre of enquiry and a point of departure through the deep learning of a core discipline.
As well as working on their technical painting skills, our students also get the chance to exhibit at and curate shows at Plymouth’s many professional galleries and art spaces.
Thinking & making
Study with us and you’ll expand your critical approach alongside developing skills in research and analysis. Our academically robust and intellectually stimulating degree programmes are delivered by our team of academics, technical demonstrators and invited experts who together deliver excellence in learning, teaching and assessment. Our programmes encourage diversity in thinking and making - from practical applications through to reflective, analytical writing.
We provide a dynamic, stimulating learning environment from which to test new models of practice, while investing in the rich relationship between practice and theory - based on the potential in material and visual exploration, collaborative working, cross-fertilisation of ideas, and the exploration of histories and contemporary contexts.
Opportunities for studying abroad are available at our partner institutions, click here for more.
BA (Hons) Painting, Drawing & Printmaking — Highlights:
- Develop essential techniques, taught by practising artists, in oil painting, water-based painting, drawing and fine print.
- Experience freedom to pursue your own creative voice and work in a group of like-minded students who all share your commitment to painting, drawing and printmaking.
- Work in your own creative space in our purpose-built studios, which are some of the most inspiring spaces to practise art in the UK.
- Practise drawing in taught sessions on a regular basis throughout your entire three-year degree.
- Develop your professional practice through opportunities such as residencies, live briefs or internationally through the Erasmus + scheme; or find out about teaching drawing and painting in our own Creative School for 4-to-16-year-olds.
- Gain a high-quality, critical and technical education in painting, drawing and printmaking.
- Exhibit and curate, with frequent shows throughout the programme and encouragement to develop your own gallery opportunities, as well as build connections with other professional galleries and art spaces.
- Leave with a deep understanding of your own art practice, its techniques and the theories behind it, along with an ability to collaborate across other creative disciplines. We’ll teach you to reflect critically on your own professional identity as an emerging artist, and equip you with the necessary skills to step forward into your creative future.
Have a question for our team? Email: PDP@pca.ac.uk
BA (Hons) Painting, Drawing & Printmaking is validated by The Open University.