BA (Hons) Graphic Design — Overview
The graphic design industry plays a vital role in society. This dynamic and continually evolving area touches every aspect of your day-to-day life, from the packaging and labelling of your favourite jeans to the apps you use on your phone every day.
Our Graphic Design programme will challenge you to explore the relationship between design and the wider world, gain essential skills, and encourage you to develop your own ideas and individual approach.
Through our commitment to core design skills such as creative and critical thinking, ideation, typography, print, layout and investigative practice, together with contemporary digital media and other associated disciplines, we’ll encourage you to develop your own unique voice and offer.
We encourage students input on the programme allowing you to become active learners and therefore shaping and influencing the course as you progress.
We want our graduates to be future leaders within the design world. We want you to investigate, influence, innovate, and be at the forefront of change.
Across three years of study, you’ll cover everything from brand identity to design for print, illustration to information graphics, emerging design contexts such as apps to web-based digital design, including digital storytelling and UI design.
You will also get the chance to exercise your entrepreneurial ambitions and work directly with live clients and global design studios, and generate your own saleable design projects. To be a successful graphic designer you must be innovative, creative and a problem-solver.
You’ll need to understand your tools, media, message and audience. Our programme will help you to develop these critical skills and explore international design practices in a broader professional context.
Practice-led teaching – taught by research-active staff who are influenced by current trends and industry developments – is an advantageous element to this programme.
Our graduates are highly regarded and recognised within the industry. They continue to receive numerous awards and secure jobs across the sector (national and international), freelance opportunities, internships and work placements.
Our three-year programme includes guest lectures from renowned speakers and visits to start up agencies culminating in a major exhibition of work on a national platform in London.
What will I achieve?
You’ll gain skills and knowledge while developing your creativity and understanding of the wider professional context.
Equipped with a creative toolkit in graphic design, you’ll develop your independent practice in creative processes in digital and non-digital mediums.
You’ll learn to become independent and to turn your ambitions into reality through self-promotion and enterprise, developing your own aesthetic sensibilities, powers of innovation, and capacity for intellectual enquiry.
Our graduates do fantastic things – from creating designs for the Rolling Stones and Katy Perry to working with the Bolshoi Theatre, The House London and the Tate.
BA (Hons) Graphic Design – Highlights:
- Learn about a diverse range of graphic design applications, including print and interactive design, publishing and information design, and typography and motion design.
- Acquire knowledge from approachable and committed staff with vast experience in design context, typography, letterpress, publishing, installation, interactive design, motion, branding, photography, printmaking, illustration, bookbinding and professional practices.
- Gain first-hand experience of real-life work situations through The Agency, a studio practice, with job roles and paid projects providing opportunities to develop enterprise skills, and to engage with live client-led briefs.
- Explore both traditional handcraft resources and digital technology to support your creative, conceptual and innovative design thinking.
- Observe how international agencies run and visit up-and-coming exhibitions on our exciting programme trips to Paris and Berlin.
Have a question for our team? Email: GRAPHICS@pca.ac.uk