BA (Hons) Fashion — Overview
From innovative pattern-cutting to styling a magazine cover, fashion is one of the largest employers of all the UK’s creative industries – offering endless opportunities to those with ambition and an appetite to influence change.
A spirit of independence runs through our vibrant fashion programme, and we develop talented, innovative and versatile individuals.
You’ll learn traditional techniques, and how to combine these with new methodologies – such as Optitex, a 3D virtual prototyping and fashion design software, and our digital Fab Lab – to become a creative and confident fashion practitioner.
The industry-standard resources in our studios provide the tools for you to realise your ideas, and develop design specialisms in menswear, womenswear, lingerie, knitwear and technical routes.
We’ll help you to develop your presentation and marketing skills, creating a design portfolio and collaborating with photographers, graphic designers and filmmakers to style the lookbook for your final collection.
You’ll develop skills in all areas within fashion, working on projects which challenge conventions of dress as you refine your styling skills.
We’ll encourage you to collaborate across the college – and with the fashion industry – developing your attitude to pattern, print, knit and decoration.
We’ll support you in enhancing your unique fashion specialism, by collaborating and experimenting – making the most of opportunities to work with different subject areas and develop your professional network.
Looking at fashion attitudes in popular culture and music, you’ll gain insight into fashion movements and how they have evolved and influenced.
You’ll establish your individual identity as a designer, and learn the technical and creative skills to realise your ideas through pattern-cutting – both digitally and using traditional methods.
You’ll be taught to design, cut and manufacture quality one-off garments and collections with high levels of craftsmanship, supported by a team of experienced professionals who provide guidance throughout your studies.
Through industry-led briefs, you will gain understanding of the crucial relationship between design, creativity, sustainability, project management and communication skills, along with insight into factors that impact design, development and production.
We want to inspire you to reach your creative potential, throughout the programme and beyond.
What will I achieve?
You’ll learn to innovate through creative pattern-cutting, using both digital and traditional methods, and you’ll hone creative design and technical skills relevant to the ever-changing landscape of the fashion industry.
Throughout the degree programme you’ll develop your unique fashion identity through experimentation, design and drawing, giving you the skills to graduate with a professional portfolio – and enter this vibrant industry as a confident fashion practitioner.
Thinking & making
Study with us and you’ll expand your critical approach alongside developing skills in research and analysis. Our academically robust and intellectually stimulating degree programmes are delivered by our team of academics, technical demonstrators and invited experts who together deliver excellence in learning, teaching and assessment. Our programmes encourage diversity in thinking and making - from practical applications through to reflective, analytical writing.
We provide a dynamic, stimulating learning environment from which to test new models of practice, while investing in the rich relationship between practice and theory - based on the potential in material and visual exploration, collaborative working, cross-fertilisation of ideas, and the exploration of histories and contemporary contexts.
Opportunities for studying abroad are available at our partner institutions, click here for more.
BA (Hons) Fashion — Highlights:
- Engage and collaborate with our extensive professional network, including Missoni, Cope and Vale, J.W. Anderson, Mary Katrantzou, Pentland Brands, Marks and Spencer, Denza, Paul Smith, All Saints, Finisterre, British Alpaca Fashion, Hiut Denim and more.
- Refine your design and construction skills for a range of outcomes, including menswear, womenswear, sportswear and knitwear. Choose from different specialisms including Fashion Design Menswear, Fashion Design Womenswear, Performance Sportswear Design, Knitwear Design and Fashion Design with Marketing and Promotion.
- Learn to problem-solve and innovate in function and design, while learning about new developments in materials and technologies, anatomy and human factors.
- Secure an internship and develop your professional skills and network while you’re still studying.
- Develop the skills to work across a wide spectrum of careers in fashion, as a designer, consultant, buyer, stylist, or illustrator, amongst many other roles.