BA (Hons) Game Arts — Overview
The UK games industry is the largest in Europe – and is responsible for creating some of the most recognisable games in the world. Simultaneously, gaming and virtual reality now increasingly extend beyond play, becoming part of the fabric of everyday life.
Game arts is concerned with realising the spread of new ideas about social and democratic design, and our programme will put you ahead of the field in this area.
You’ll gain a comprehensive understanding of these issues and a wide overview of the commercial entertainment industry.
You’ll learn the complete creative process – from visualising your ideas through concept art and sprite sheets to prototyping game play. We’ll introduce you to cutting-edge technology that will help bring your ideas to life.
You’ll learn how VR technology can be used to create assets and content for 3D game engines, and work as a team using 3D modelling to create concepts and environments for virtual reality worlds.
The programme will also see you explore sound production, narrative structuring, character development and animation techniques.
What will I achieve?
From day one we’ll help you work towards a career in game arts or an associated area, and we’ll instil in you a confident and independent approach to creative working methods.
Over this three-year programme, you’ll develop the specialist skills to create your own original computer games in both 2D and 3D. With these skills, you’ll interpret gaming technology creatively and artistically, to come up with your own original game concepts.
In an industry worth nearly £4.2 billion, UK-produced titles include ‘Grand Theft Auto’, ‘Little Big Planet’, ‘Fable’ and ‘Batman: Arkham’.
BA (Hons) Game Arts — Highlights:
- Find new ways to express your visions virtually.
- Leave primed for employment in both AAA and Indie companies, with a rounded understanding of the game arts industry.
- Develop a high level of skills in both 3D and 2D, gaining the fundamental skills to develop your personal creative approach.
- Learn about the latest game industry software, so that you leave industry-ready.
- Attend national gaming events EGX, EGX Rezzed and the Develop:Brighton conference. You’ll also have the opportunity to attend the international animation, gaming and VR conference FMX in Stuttgart, with our Animation students.
Have a question for our team? Email: GAMEARTS@pca.ac.uk