BA (Hons) Game Arts — Overview
The UK games industry is the largest in Europe – and is responsible for creating some of the most recognisable games in the world.
Simultaneously, gaming and virtual reality now increasingly extend beyond play, becoming part of the fabric of everyday life.
Game Arts is concerned with realising the spread of new ideas about social and democratic design, and our programme will put you ahead of the field in this area.
You’ll gain a comprehensive understanding of these issues and a wide overview of the commercial entertainment industry. During this three-year programme, you’ll develop the specialist skills to create your own original computer games in both 2D and 3D.
With these skills, you’ll interpret gaming technology creatively and artistically, to come up with your own original game concepts. We’ll introduce you to cutting-edge technology that will bring your ideas to life.
You’ll learn the complete artistic processes – from sketching and developing concepts to creating 2D animated sprites and tillable content to prototyping gameplay.
Students will also learn how to work with VR technology, creating assets and content for 3D game engines and using 3D modelling to create concepts and environments as a team for virtual reality worlds.
The programme will also see you explore sound production, narrative structuring, character development and animation techniques.
What will I achieve?
From day one we’ll help you work towards a career in game arts or an associated area. And we’ll instil in you a confident and independent approach to creative working methods.
Within the more mainstream games segment, UK-produced titles such as Grand Theft Auto, Little Big Planet, Fable and Batman: Arkam.
BA (Hons) Game Arts — Highlights:
- Find new ways to express your visions virtually.
- Leave primed for employment in both AAA and Indie companies, with a rounded understanding of the game arts industry.
- Develop a high level of skills in both 3D and 2D, gaining the fundamental skills to develop your personal creative approach.
- Learn about the latest game industry software, so that you leave industry-ready.
- Attend national gaming events EGX, EGX Rezzed and the Develop:Brighton conference.
- You’ll also have the opportunity to attend the international animation, gaming and VR conference FMX in Stuttgart, with our Animation students.
Have a question for our team? Email: GAMEARTS@pca.ac.uk