Lovers PCA 010

If you develop symptoms of Coronavirus (any of the following; new continuous cough, high temperature, loss of, or change in, your normal sense of taste or smell) then you should stay at home (self-isolate), report this to us through the absence/sickness reporting procedure, and arrange to have a test.

You should also call 119 to make sure you are tested as soon as possible and when being tested tell the NHS that you are a student at Plymouth College of Art so that they can also keep us informed to support you should you become unwell or need to isolate. When you receive your test results (usually by text) you must report the outcome of your test to us through the absence/sickness reporting procedure and send us a screengrab of your positive or negative test result by email to

Student Step-by-Step

  • Complete the easy online Absence & Illness Reporting Form, available on the Student Portal.
  • Contact your Subject Leader as soon as possible
  • If you have later had positive or negative test results for Covid-19, you should complete the absence/illness form again and also email with a copy of your NHS Test result SMS. This allows us to get you back to campus when safe to do so
  • Remember to advise the NHS Test & Trace team that you are a Plymouth College of Art student
  • Your nominated emergency contact or next-of-kin can also report your absence by following the same link

What is Test and Trace?

The NHS Test and Trace service will get in touch with anyone who has had a positive test result to help them share information about any close recent contacts they have had, so that it can alert those contacts where necessary and notify them if they need to self-isolate.

How do I get a test?

It's so important to get tested and it doesn't take long. We hope that ‘on the spot testing’ may be rolled out later in the year but currently to get a test, you’ll book an appointment at a walk-through or drive-through test centre, or by ordering a home test kit. To do any of these, you must follow the step by procedure at this link or by telephoning 119 (NHS).

There are currently static test centres in Plymouth (in the former Seaton Barracks, near Derriford) and Exeter (Honiton Road Park & Ride), with mobile test centres often available in Barnstaple, Tiverton, Torquay, Launceston. Please check that this information is up-to-date and ALWAYS book an appointment before travelling for a test.

What should I do if I have symptoms?

As soon as you experience coronavirus symptoms, medical advice is clear: you must self-isolate for at least 10 days. Anyone else in your household must self-isolate for 14 days from when you started having symptoms.

  • If your test is positive - you must complete the remainder of your 10-day self-isolation. Anyone who you live with must also complete self-isolation for 14 days from when you started having symptoms.
  • If your test is negative - you and others who you live with no longer need to self-isolate. If you live with someone who has symptoms of Coronavirus or has tested positive, you should self isolate for 14 days and report this to us through the absence/sickness reporting procedure (see this further information for guidance on when to self-isolate and for how long).

Please remember to fill in the Absence & Illness Reporting Form again after receiving a Covid-19 test result and report positive or negative test results by email to Click here for more information from the NHS about what positive, negative or unclear test results mean.

Current government advice is that people who are pregnant, or over the age of 70, or who have medical conditions that increase their vulnerability to Covid-19 may be at a heightened risk. If you think this applies to you or have any concerns, please email

Non-coronavirus related absence

If you are a registered student reporting a non-coronavirus related absence, please click here to complete the Report Absence option in MyTimetables.

If you are a parent or guardian reporting a non-coronavirus related absence on behalf of a registered PCA student please click here to complete an absence form.


We will provide all students who may need to be in self-isolation with advice and support. We have introduced an online absence reporting system in relation to current concerns around coronavirus.

We are in regular contact with Public Health England (PHE) and are following their guidance on best practice across Plymouth College of Art.

A number of Plymouth College of Art resources are already available off-campus, including:

  • Your Student Portal includes access to all your learning and teaching resources.
  • You can continue to book 1:1 appointments with the Learning Lab and these can be delivered online or via telephone.
  • Click here to search the Library Catalogue

Student support has moved to remote working. All appointments (counselling, wellbeing and general welfare) will be available online. If you have any concerns regarding your wellbeing, please email for a response or visit our Wellbeing homepage, where there is advice on a range of services and support you can access.

Please keep in contact with your lecturers or subject leaders directly during any period of self-isolation to ensure that you receive the support that you need.